Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Is Poultry Farming Good For Small Farmers in India?

Register

Click Here!

softchick

Hi Everyone

Recently I have started a Poultry Farm for breeding Broilers in Karnataka near to Hyderabad. I am constantly facing loss because every time my work out cost for chicken per kg is very high compared to the selling cost.
And more over their is no tranperancy in this market, nobody knows why the chicken price increases or decreases. The Farm Gate price shown in the news paper is far high then what the dealers give when they buy from the farm.The dealers have a system of sms in which daily price is displayed which is far low then the Newspaper.
Chick cost is around 30 to 33 each (Venkateshwara) and
Feed cost is around Rs1100 per bag(Hendrix -Nutricraft)
The total Production cost including Labour and Electricity is reaching very high from RS55 - Rs60 and the selling price is Rs43 as per now
The figures written are the actual cost for my present batch.
I have also seen many small farmers strugling in this business and many already closed.
Can some one please suggest where am I going wrong? Either I am getting very expencive Feed or I am not getting proper dealer to buy?
I have put a lot in this and already lost a lot so kindoff trying to get atleast what i lost? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Softchick

Ashwini

Hi

Contact some big farming people who are into business like suguna chiken. They are also involved in contract farming and they buy it at a fixed rate. SO try contacting them.

Regards
Ashwini

softchick

Yes I have been to sugna but they refused to take my farm for integration because my farm is located a bit interior. and sugna has particular areas where they take farm for integration.

Any other clues which could work for me

vishwanathreddy

refarding pultry

sir, my name is vishwanth resident of kolar, in poultry industry only few of them are into business, so they create the market means increasing the chicken rate depends upon these few people only,like the share market, so automatically when they supply chicks to private people in the coming days it shows the chicken rate will come down. so its better for you to breed chicken of certain company by taking commission per kg.

softchick

Thanx for ur quick response
I totally agree that few Big Farmers are playing with the market prices because todays farm gate is Rs43 which no small farmer can produce.
and sir
Its Located in the interior of Bidar Karnataka and the capacity is 10,000 birds

I would be thankful if you can suggest me some Poultry feed which is less expensive than what I am getting. right now I am using Hendrix feed which is provided by Nutrikraft which is around Rs1100 per bag for starter and Finisher. I have heard this is the best feed for the climate in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh and frankly I am getting a weight around 2.2kg in 40 days.

Thanx and Regards
Softchick

softchick

Sir
I really need some good advice because I have no Idea wether to continue farming or leave it for big farmers.
If the paid members get some responses from the moderator or senior members I am ready to take get paid registration. Plz help.

Regards
Softchick

asad_p

dear sir you are correct, market is highly fluctuating for broiler price and it is not possible to predict the variation. you can work out on reducing cost of production by looking some other reliable local option for DOCs, may be can explore the possiblity of setting up a hatchery in association with other farmers near you. That hatchery can work as an independent center for your group and can provide DOCs at much lower price.
Secondly, if the demand of low weight bird (called fryer) is there in your area and your farm's mortallity is in control you can look at the option of increasing stocking density during initial phase and lifting some birds out when they achieve 1-1.5 kg (required for fryer). This will balance out net inflow from sales of your flock.

pradeeprokade

Poultry Farm Loses

Dear Sir,
You are right, the Broiler poultry market is controlled by few people all over India. One day chicks , its feed, medicines, Labor are costly and traders will not allow you to earn much .Since you are in to it and done lot of investments you can’t think of closing this business and start something new. I have few following suggestions.
1) Start making your own feed
2) Directly sale your product to retail shopkeepers, have your own retail outlets, have a contract with good companies, Hotels on long term basis.
OR
If you have sufficient land with or without long-term plantations slowly shift to Desi –hybrid chicken open farming like Giriraj /Vanaraj / Kadaknath etc. which will have following advantages :
a) Cost of one day chick is low : between Rs. 12/- to Rs. 15/- per chick
b) They will find their own feed which will reduce the cost on feed by at least 50%
c) Less prone to dieses - cost on medicines will be low .
d) You can keep them for mutton or Eggs
e) Gives more eggs ( 150 PA)than local desi ( 75 to 80 Pa )chicken
f) Eggs are bigger in size and light brown in color – sold at higher rates.
g) You can hatch these eggs on your farm to have one day chicks.
h) FCR ratio is low.
i) Grows fast – can have more batches per year.
j) Live bird is sold at high rates.

By doing this I think you will not incur any loses in future.

Regards
Pradeep rokade

mahamads82

please inform about bank loan facility for poultry in maharastra

sir,
if you know about bank loan availability in maharastra for poultry farm

Regards m.a.shaikh

softchick

Thanks a lot for your responses. I really appreciate the solutions given by both of you Mr. Pradeep rokade and asad_p.
Mr. Asad Idea of Hatchery is good but I hope its very expensive to start a Hatchery even with associating with some near farmers. I will really appreciate if you could put more light on it like exactly how much it will cost me to start a Hatchery and from where I need to bring the parent birds.
I do lift the birds when they are around 1.5kg but in this batch even for fryers I didn’t get good price.

And Mr. Pradeep rokade frankly speaking your solution is great.
Making my own feed which I have also been thinking because almost all the money is spent on feed. Can you please give me some more help on making my own feed.
And regarding selling to retailers its like a tough job because they buy on credit and we need transportation and good relations with retailers, hopefully I will start working on that
At last for farming Desi chicken its also good option but completely different job which I have no experience but I will start looking forward to it.

Thanks and Regards
Softchick

udaya3678

Very good suggestion

Dear Sir,
You are right, the Broiler poultry market is controlled by few people all over India. One day chicks , its feed, medicines, Labor are costly and traders will not allow you to earn much .Since you are in to it and done lot of investments you can’t think of closing this business and start something new. I have few following suggestions:

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. Past one year I am in broiler poultry field and facing loss. Now at present I am having 1000 vanaraja chicks of average 1kg weight. I want the present market price, lifting weight and where to market.My poultry placed at chetpet (Tamilnadu)

baljeetanand

Poultry farm i punjab

HI
What about starting a poultry farm in punjab,
Is producing eggs prioditable or broilers

Which varieties for eggs will u recommend

Pls reply

I am planning a poultry and mushroom farm

Is the idea viable

pls reply

alsafap

need help for Opening and Growing my Poultry farm

dear friend,
i am irfan khan, from kumta karnataka,
i like to open a newly small poultry farm in my place in kumta,
so how to start the farm, and where getting the cheap feed,
and where getting the small chicken birds,? please give me suggest to get good quality and cheap chicken birds and feed,

al safa poultry Farm
Kumta, Karnataka,

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear Mr.Pradeep,
What u say is nice..
Having giriraj or vanaraja chick and keeping them in open land is always better than the other option.
I would also suggest the same for you to save ..

Dear Sir,
You are right, the Broiler poultry market is controlled by few people all over India. One day chicks , its feed, medicines, Labor are costly and traders will not allow you to earn much .Since you are in to it and done lot of investments you can’t think of closing this business and start something new. I have few following suggestions.
1) Start making your own feed
2) Directly sale your product to retail shopkeepers, have your own retail outlets, have a contract with good companies, Hotels on long term basis.
OR
If you have sufficient land with or without long-term plantations slowly shift to Desi –hybrid chicken open farming like Giriraj /Vanaraj / Kadaknath etc. which will have following advantages :
a) Cost of one day chick is low : between Rs. 12/- to Rs. 15/- per chick
b) They will find their own feed which will reduce the cost on feed by at least 50%
c) Less prone to dieses - cost on medicines will be low .
d) You can keep them for mutton or Eggs
e) Gives more eggs ( 150 PA)than local desi ( 75 to 80 Pa )chicken
f) Eggs are bigger in size and light brown in color – sold at higher rates.
g) You can hatch these eggs on your farm to have one day chicks.
h) FCR ratio is low.
i) Grows fast – can have more batches per year.
j) Live bird is sold at high rates.

By doing this I think you will not incur any loses in future.

Regards
Pradeep rokade
sir ,,i want to start poultry in small scale about 3000 birds and i want to start with RIR breeds so can you help mi where i can get them and other information about RIR,like day old chicks rate, selling rate ,medicine,feed?....m starting in maharashtra near nasik(dhule)..

sir ,,i want to start poultry in small scale about 3000 birds and i want to start with RIR breeds so can you help mi where i can get them and other information about RIR,like day old chicks rate, selling rate ,medicine,feed?....m starting in maharashtra near nasik(dhule)..

silass

Did you start poultry at Dhule? I am from Jalgaon and I am looking for more info on Poultry....