Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Is Poultry Farming Good For Small Farmers in India?

Register

Click Here!

danvan

Dear Softchick,

I am interested in discussing a business opportunity with you. We will be building a hygienic processing plant south of Chennai. We are interested in purchasing chickens directly from the farmer to help the farmers receive more revenue. If you are interested please contact me via the email below.

danlauravan@gmail.com

Thanks.

ramsforums

It is always the problem when big players enter the market small farmers make loss.

one option is all small farmers form a society and pool together buy feeds.

The challenge is working co-cooperatively and collaboratively.

shettee

Poultry

POULTRY BROILER FARMING IS A VERY HIGHLY RISKY BUSINESS LOT OF FARMERS HAVE SUFFERED HUGE LOSSES IN THIS BROILER BUSINESS INCLUDING ME WHICH IS REGULATED BY BIG CORPORATES AND TRADERS THERE IS NO SUPPLY DEMAND LOGIC IN THIS BUSINESS TOO.BIG PLAYERS ARE MANIPULATING THIS INDUSTRY POLITICIANS ARE ALSO THERE IN THIS POULTRY AGRO BUSINESS.THERE IS VERY LITTLE ROOM LEFT FOR FARMERS TO EARN HERE IN INDIA.
THESE COUNTRY HAS GONE TO DOGS.
I WAS ALSO FOOLED BY FARMERS ABOUT THE PROFIT IN THIS BUSINESS WHEN I WAS NEW I WAS HAPPY I MADE GOOD PROFIT INTIALLY 3 / 4 BATCHES WERE VERY PROFITABLE I WAS HAPPY BUT THEN RATES STARTED TO FALL DOWN WE STARTED OUR OWN CUTTING CENTRE RETAILING BUT THAT WAS VER DIFICULT TO MANAGE.
IT WAS HARD TO SELL SO MUCH CHICKEN FROM ONE OUTLET AND RETAIL OUTLET NEEDS DIFFERENT SIZES OF CHICKEN 1.25 KG 1.5 KG 2 KGS AND WE STARTED SELLING TO HOTELS BUT HOTEL RATES WERE PAPER RATES I.e.RS.61/60 WHICH WAS UNAFFORDABLE.
SOME FARMERS ALSO STARTED UNIONS FOR RATES BUT THOSE WHO WERE UNION LEADERS THEY WERE GIVEN GIFTS MONEY AND FREE TICKETS EXPENSES TO GO FOR HOLIDAYS ABROAD BY SOME BIG COMPANIES I DONT WANT TO NAME THOSE COMPANIES BUT BIG FISH ALWAYS EATS THE SMALL FISH.

IT IS BETTER TO STAY OUT OF POULTRY BUSINESS IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS VENTURE.....................

kumarindia

Dear Shettee

Can u explain why will the big farmer do so. if you can't answer this in the forum u can mail me at indiakumar999@gmail.com. I am also facing the same problem as you do. But it will better to know the reasons.

POULTRY BROILER FARMING IS A VERY HIGHLY RISKY BUSINESS LOT OF FARMERS HAVE SUFFERED HUGE LOSSES IN THIS BROILER BUSINESS INCLUDING ME WHICH IS REGULATED BY BIG CORPORATES AND TRADERS THERE IS NO SUPPLY DEMAND LOGIC IN THIS BUSINESS TOO.BIG PLAYERS ARE MANIPULATING THIS INDUSTRY POLITICIANS ARE ALSO THERE IN THIS POULTRY AGRO BUSINESS.THERE IS VERY LITTLE ROOM LEFT FOR FARMERS TO EARN HERE IN INDIA.
THESE COUNTRY HAS GONE TO DOGS.
I WAS ALSO FOOLED BY FARMERS ABOUT THE PROFIT IN THIS BUSINESS WHEN I WAS NEW I WAS HAPPY I MADE GOOD PROFIT INTIALLY 3 / 4 BATCHES WERE VERY PROFITABLE I WAS HAPPY BUT THEN RATES STARTED TO FALL DOWN WE STARTED OUR OWN CUTTING CENTRE RETAILING BUT THAT WAS VER DIFICULT TO MANAGE.
IT WAS HARD TO SELL SO MUCH CHICKEN FROM ONE OUTLET AND RETAIL OUTLET NEEDS DIFFERENT SIZES OF CHICKEN 1.25 KG 1.5 KG 2 KGS AND WE STARTED SELLING TO HOTELS BUT HOTEL RATES WERE PAPER RATES I.e.RS.61/60 WHICH WAS UNAFFORDABLE.
SOME FARMERS ALSO STARTED UNIONS FOR RATES BUT THOSE WHO WERE UNION LEADERS THEY WERE GIVEN GIFTS MONEY AND FREE TICKETS EXPENSES TO GO FOR HOLIDAYS ABROAD BY SOME BIG COMPANIES I DONT WANT TO NAME THOSE COMPANIES BUT BIG FISH ALWAYS EATS THE SMALL FISH.

IT IS BETTER TO STAY OUT OF POULTRY BUSINESS IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS VENTURE.....................

ravianil

I suggest you to kindly Contact; University in Bangalore (Hebbal), they will guide you properly, as they have given me proper guidance towards profitable business, do not go on others,i am sorry but some misled you. Poultry division and middle man,
i feel you should contact University Officials and you can express your problems they will be really Happy to Guide you towards profitable mode of business in future

deerag786

Dear Farmer
I am sad to know that you are facing loss I would like to contact you as I am interested in Poultry farming in India and it would be good idea to meet and see if we can work out a good project for each others benefit my mail id id is dhirenavlani@hotmail.co.uk and my number is 00447508708170 give me a miss call and I will call you back.Awaiting you reply Thanking You

With Best Regards
Dhiren

Hi Everyone

Recently I have started a Poultry Farm for breeding Broilers in Karnataka near to Hyderabad. I am constantly facing loss because every time my work out cost for chicken per kg is very high compared to the selling cost.
And more over their is no tranperancy in this market, nobody knows why the chicken price increases or decreases. The Farm Gate price shown in the news paper is far high then what the dealers give when they buy from the farm.The dealers have a system of sms in which daily price is displayed which is far low then the Newspaper.
Chick cost is around 30 to 33 each (Venkateshwara) and
Feed cost is around Rs1100 per bag(Hendrix -Nutricraft)
The total Production cost including Labour and Electricity is reaching very high from RS55 - Rs60 and the selling price is Rs43 as per now
The figures written are the actual cost for my present batch.
I have also seen many small farmers strugling in this business and many already closed.
Can some one please suggest where am I going wrong? Either I am getting very expencive Feed or I am not getting proper dealer to buy?
I have put a lot in this and already lost a lot so kindoff trying to get atleast what i lost? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Softchick