Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Green house capcicum project

Register

Click Here!

kunal_mba

I want to start green house capsicum farming. I am basically from surat,gujarat. SO can i get details regarding cost of project, expected returns, future of this projects In nutshell details of projects.:confused::

Ashwini

Hello
Capsicum, or sweet pepper, is a valuable crop with excellent prospects both for the domestic and export market. It has very good potential as an alternative for greenhouse tomatoes. However, growing capsicum is harder and more laborious than growing tomatoes.

Capsicum plants are slow-growing, and it may take over five months from sowing to first harvest. There are many modern varieties (cultivars) of greenhouse capsicum available. Main characteristics are the fruit shape and fruit colour (red, yellow, orange or other, while green capsicums are usually unripe-red capsicums); resistances (most modern varieties are tolerant for one or more virus types); production, fruit quality and vigour. Some varieties are very vigorous and plants can become as tall as 3.5 m in one year. Regularly new varieties (cultivars) are developed and it is worthwhile comparing a few plants of a new variety against the standard one.

Sowing

Always use fresh, high-quality virus-free seeds. The seed count is 100-140 per gram, and one gram of seed will generally raise about 80-100 plants. For soil-grown crops sometimes broadcast sowing is applied with 1-2 gram per m2. Normally sowing is done in trays with 10 gram per m2 for scattered sowing, or 40 gram per m2 for space-sowing. At 28°C emergence will occur about a week earlier than at 21°C. The optimal germination temperature is 24-25°C. The young seedlings require good light conditions. Directly after germination the covering material is removed and the temperature lowered to 23°C, although 18 to 25°C is possible. The seedlings can be pricked out when the cotyledons are fully expanded (after 12 days at high temperature, or after 18 days at low temperature).

Capsicum growth is very much dependent on temperature. Particularly the root temperature must be sufficiently high (20-22°C). So for propagation under cold conditions the use of benches or bottom heat is beneficial. Capsicum transplants require a minimum day temperature of 21 - 23°C, and two degrees higher during sunshine, and a night temperature of 20°C.

Planting and spacing

Plants are ready for planting when the first flower bud is visible. They have then reached a fresh weight of 35 - 45 gram. This will be five weeks after sowing in summer, or up to eight weeks under unfavourable conditions. In good planting conditions (warm peat) it is possible to plant relatively larger plants. If the conditions in the greenhouse are not optimal (low root temperature) it is better to plant smaller plants. The main root of the capsicum plant should be able to grow out freely without being obstructed by the bottom of a plastic pot.

The plant density in the greenhouse depends on the training system to be applied later (single-row, V-system, etc.). However, it is stem density rather than plant density that matters. Optimal stem density is around seven or eight stems per m2 in summer (may be higher in a new glasshouse), and around six stem per m2 in unfavourable light conditions. It is most common to have two main stems per plant, for which 3 - 4 plants/m2 should be planted.

Training and pruning should be done every three weeks, or even every two weeks in periods of fast growth. In summer it is better not to prune leaves in the upper 15 cm of the plant in order to provide shading to the fruit. At the end when the last fruit are set the plants can be topped to avoid stem breaking and to improve fruit size.

A young capsicum plant starts flowering about two to six weeks after planting, when it has 7 to 13 leaves. The first flower, or crown flower, either aborts or must be removed. Later flowers may develop into fruit. The temperature during early flower development affects the size and the shape of the later capsicum fruit. The lower the temperature during flower development, the shorter the fruit (length compared to the diameter). A flower grown under very low temperature (below 10oC at night) would produce a small flattened fruit. A lower temperature during flowering results in less four-loculed fruit, and more three-loculed fruit, or even two-loculed fruit, which is not desired. Also, flowers developed at a night temperature below 18°C usually produce a fruit with a ‘tail’ (elongated, pointing blossom-end). In conclusion, the optimal temperature during flowering is 20 - 21oC on average both day and night. Capsicum can be self-pollinating, but there is a high degree of cross-pollination because honey bees, thrips and other insects transfer pollen from blossom to blossom.
Fruit set - The main condition is that sufficient leaf area must have developed. Plants with three or four axils above the branching are big enough.

Inducing fruit set

Fruit set will occur by itself when the light conditions are good. However, when fruit set is difficult there are several methods to overcome this. The most practical way is by dropping the night temperature to 18°C. The day temperature can stay at 20-22°C, but if fruit set needs further help, the day temperature can also be dropped to as low as 18 oC. It is good if the root temperature can be dropped to 18°C as it will give more flowers. Very low night temperature (10°C) ensures a high percentage of fruit set, but induces fruit with a few seeds only, which will abort or remain small. About 18°C night temperature (and root temperature) is optimal for fruit set.

Fruit growth

About 5 - 9 weeks after fruit set, fruit will reach their full size and get firm, while still green (the ‘harvestable-green’ stage). Further ripening on the plant until fully-coloured takes another 2 - 4 weeks. The total period from blossom to full-colour ripe fruit is 7 - 12 weeks. The huge variation in fruit growth duration is due to many factors: season (light), temperature, fruit load, condition of the plant, plant management, cultivar, etc.

Harvesting

Capsicum fruit can be harvested when they are harvestable-green. Green fruit are incapable of ripening after removal from the plant. When harvested a week after the harvestable-green stage the fruit will turn gradually into colour, which is not desired. The right stage for red fruit is when they have reached full colour and are still firm. Overripe fruit are soft, and have a low keeping quality.

REgards
Ashwini

akhileshorganic

Green House

Dear Sir,

Greetings!

This is Akhilesh Tiwari, I am B.E. (Ag.), PGDOAM, MBA having long experience in the field of organic agriculture, Floriculture, Horticulture, Green House and Organic Textile.

As you have mentioned you want to setting up Green House, now a days a lot of government scheme is going on to promote Green House cultivation. You can use that facilities. I will tell you all about that.

I provide consultancy on the above fields. A lot of projects are successful running in all over the India in my consultancy.

I have a lot of questions in my mind before start giving consultancy so please call me on my mobile number or mail me full detail of your project.

Thanks

With Regards

Akhilesh Tiwari
Please contact............

Last edited by a moderator:

shantaram_277

I want to start green house capsicum farming. I am basically from surat,gujarat. SO can i get details regarding cost of project, expected returns, future of this projects In nutshell details of projects.:confused::
Dear Sir,

I can help you in seting you capsicum project,

Requirement is LAND, grennhouse(G.I. STRUCTURE 19 to 20 lak for one Acre area, wooden structure 12 lak to 13 lak rupees. )

It is11 months crop - FULL YEAR GROWING COST ABOUT 8 LAK RUPEES,

PRODUCTION - 50 TONS / ACRE

AVE PRICE RS 30 / KG YOU CAN GET MORE IF YOU HAVE GOOD MARKETING SKILL.

SO RETURNS WILL BE 15 LAK , PROFIT WILL BE 7 LAK / YEAR
IF YOU GROW PROPERLY

PLEASE CONTACT

esstee

Mr tewari
i am from jalandhar city wanted to grow flowers in green house .pl let us know total expanses for this projest and income per year from one acre land .
Also let us know can u help us in sale for flowers .
Vinod gupta
please contact......

rodagi

Dear Sir,

Requirement is LAND, grennhouse(G.I. STRUCTURE 19 to 20 lak for one Acre area, wooden structure 12 lak to 13 lak rupees. )

IF YOU GROW PROPERLY

PLEASE CONTACT

Hello,

Could you please let me know what will be the gvt subsidy I can get in the wooden structure...

Thanks in advance..

dkmurali

Dear Sir,

IF YOU GROW PROPERLY

PLEASE CONTACT
hi

i am interested in green house cultivaion under fan and pad system. pl contact me 09704388818

murali

brijeshn

If you want knowledge of crops that can you grow in green house effecctively then there is one ngo organization in gandhinagar.
it is newly opened organization to help green house holder in gujarat.
it's name is "green house association".
they have all ready done one conference on "how to select green house plastic".
they are now planing to go for conference on "which crop you can grow in which season" in next month in baroda.
so go for it...