Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

How to control Congress Grass (Parthenium hysterophorus)

Register

Click Here!

jagadish_f

HI,

I am from Andhra Pradesh. I would like to know the steps to control Congress Grass, we locally call it as Vayyari Bhama. It is also known as carrot weed, white top, gazar ghas, chatak chandam, gandhi booti, macherla kampa.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jagadesh.

manojsinghchandel

Biological and Chemical control

Biological Control

Mexican beetles (zygogramma bicolorata) was considered a "safe" biocontrol agent. The larvae feeds for 10 to 15 on the leaves and on maturity enters the soil and pupates below up to 15 cm depth. The beetles emerge after eight to 12 days and completes its life-cycle in 27 to 32 days. Both the adults and larvae are capable of feeding on the parthenium leaves thus checking the plant growth and flower production. Adults defoliate the plant. Immature flowers are cut by the beetles in an effort to chew the soft tissues beneath the flowers. Completely defoliated plants start to show die-back symptoms and gradually get killed.

Chemical Control

Glufosinate ammonium @ 2.5, 3.0 l/ha and glyphosate @ 2.5 l/ha were effective in imparting a complete control of Congress grass

Regds

Manoj Singh

aromedindia

Control of Parthenium weed

Paraquat (Gramxone) solution (2lit. in 600 lit water) can be applied on plants growing on roads and bunds or vacant land. In crops it can be applied by rubbing it on plants by hand (solution soaked in some cotton cloth).If the populating in cultivated field is less it should be removed manually. Otherwise will spread very fast and the population will reach beyond control.
Pl see that herbicide application should be done when weeds are quite young.

There are other options but in that case the field may require to keep fallow for some time.
Thanks
aromedindia@gmail.com
9451504200/9424633501

vkv_2

HI,

I am from Andhra Pradesh. I would like to know the steps to control Congress Grass, we locally call it as Vayyari Bhama. It is also known as carrot weed, white top, gazar ghas, chatak chandam, gandhi booti, macherla kampa.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jagadesh.
A solution of sea salt, soap oil and water can be made in the ratio of 1kg:1L:10L can be made and sprayed on the plants . this is found to be very effective and the plants dry within two to three days. Washing soap can also be used instead of soap oil.

ramakuppu

Sir,
Please tell me that the Mexican beetles will affect other crops also or not. somebody told me that it spoils other crops also. OK then where can we obtain the mexican beetles.
Thank U