Notices

Thread: Merigold Cultivation

1. #1 Merigold Cultivation 

dear sir,
    I am having 4 acres of dry land of bore well irrigation system at Puducherry , near Cuddalore. Soil is suitable for Groundnuts, Tapiacca, etc.
    Kindly suggest whether Merigold can yield good returns to me. If Merigold is O.K, let me know any other flower crop could be cultivated along with merigold. In tamil- Kozhikondai. Send me the details like the where can I have the seeds or seedling and its cost?
    Within couple of weeks I am going to harvest the groundnuts and I would like to go for this Horticulture cultivation.
    The land is surrounded by the habitation and associated vetnary population.
    Thank you very much
    G.Ramki
    Last edited by gururamki; March 8th, 2008 at 08:17 PM.

2. #2 Merigold cultivation 

Merigold cultivation may not be much remunerative because of many reasons in its produced form. Alternatively, I feel it would be better to revert to Merigold seed production on contract form and the contractors are in Bangalore. Otherwise, you may revert to dark yellow Merigold flower cultivation, dry the petals after seperation of the root seeds of each petal, powdered petals may be used for poultry feed mixture. Research in Japan revealed that the eggs so produced were having dark coloured yellow yolk eggs with ph rate at more than 10. Ordinary Indian Poulty yellow yolk ph rate is around 3-4 units only. I have cultivated Merigold seed production on contract basis and I derived Rs.25000 per Acre after all expenses for two years. I do not know the Bangalore contractor but I did through a sub-contractor in Hyderabad.

Dear Sir

Marigold is a good option,Prior to that you see if you have enough market in your region, look out for the competitors, u can also plan for Perrenial Jasmine, tuberose etc.

Soil :
    Marigold can be grown in a wide range of soils, as it is adapted in different soil types. French (Dwarf) marigolds are best cultivated in light soil whereas a rich well drained, moist soils are best suited for African (Tall) marigolds. However, sandy loam soil having pH 7.0-7.5 with good aeration and drainage are considered ideal for the cultivation of marigold.

Climate :Marigold requires mild climate for luxuriant growth and flowering. The optimum temperature range for its profuse growth is 18-20 C. Temperatures above 35 C restrict the growth of the plants, which leads to reduction in flower size and number. In severe winter, plants and flowers are damaged by frost.

Marigolds present many choices for use in the Garden, because they come in so many heights, flower shapes and colors. Heights range from six inches to three feet. Flower shapes vary from single to frilled, to massive round balls. Many shades of yellow and gold, orange, ivory, mahogany and bicolor blooms are available.

The African marigolds contain the tallest varieties. They're the ones with the large pompon-type flowers, but some plants can be as short as twelve inches. The French marigolds consist of the more dwarf varieties, growing to a height of six to twelve inches. Many choices are available, with both single and double flowers. Lemon Gem and Golden Gem are varieties of a species of marigold that produce a profusion of very tiny single flowers on bushy plants. The foliage is very fern-like and is more pleasantly scented than any other marigold.

regards

Kirti

hello sir ,
    go for marigold cultivation in the offseasons it will fetch u good price

5. #5 Anandane From Puducherry, 

Quote Originally Posted by gururamki View Post
    dear sir,
    I am having 4 acres of dry land of bore well irrigation system at Puducherry , near Cuddalore. Soil is suitable for Groundnuts, Tapiacca, etc.
    Kindly suggest whether Merigold can yield good returns to me. If Merigold is O.K, let me know any other flower crop could be cultivated along with merigold. In tamil- Kozhikondai. Send me the details like the where can I have the seeds or seedling and its cost?
    Within couple of weeks I am going to harvest the groundnuts and I would like to go for this Horticulture cultivation.
    The land is surrounded by the habitation and associated vetnary population.
    Thank you very much
    G.Ramki
    RAMKI SIR,
    I AM AGRI.GRADUATE FROM ARIYUR AGRO AND AGRI CLINIC CENTRE-ARIYUR PUDUCHERRY-605102,FURTHER CONSULTANCY CONTACT ME.