Notices

Thread: SUGAR CANE ringpit method ?

1. #1 SUGAR CANE ringpit method ? 

hi all
    please let me know in sugarcane cultivation technique is ring pit method really works or not ? please share your valuable knowledge.
    thanks
    nice day
    Nadeem Ahmed

Dear Sir

A new method of sugarcane cultivation, called pit method or ring pit method, which is cost-effective and at the same time helps farmers get a higher yield is slowly catching on.

Several farm trials have proved that by adopting this method, the yield can be increased to two or three times compared to the normal row-to-row planting technique.
    In pit method, the crops are raised in pits at the spacing of 180 cm between rows and 150 cm between individual pits in a row.
    growth of the crop was vigorous and they matured at the eighth month after planting.Due to the equal spacing maintained on all the sides the plants grow steadily and the nutrition supplied through drip fertigation reduced the crop duration.The continuous supply of nutrition and spacing induces the early physiological maturity that was the major benefit the farmer.All the shoots are of the same age, so there is uniform growth and sugar accumulation in the canes.Sufficient space between the clumps and row to row allows sufficient light and air circulation, which is important for good growth of the crop.The most important factor is that the sugarcane setts were placed at a depth, which were always moist, hence, in case of drought, or non-availability of water the yield was not affected.

Kirti

Quote Originally Posted by nadeem5476 View Post
    hi all
    please let me know in sugarcane cultivation technique is ring pit method really works or not ? please share your valuable knowledge.
    thanks
    nice day
    Nadeem Ahmed
    Dear Nadeem,

For details please visit:

The Hindu Business Line : Pit planting can help in higher sugarcane yield

Dear sir

Ring-pit plantation can double sugarcane yield
    The losses faced by sugar mills mean increasing arrears of payments to sugarcane growers. This is leading to farmers quitting sugarcane, causing concern to mills. The only way out of this seems reduction in the cost of production.
    A revolutionary method of sugarcane plantation that can make cost-reduction possible was developed in the 1980s by the Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research, Lucknow
    People have found it hard to believe that the yield could be increased two or three times by adopting the ring-pit method. In this regard, a meeting was called last year, which was attended by officials from Punjab Agricultural University, the Punjab Government, and other related agencies. It decided to conduct field trials to establish the facts. Although it was late for planting, the experiment was still carried out on several plots in Punjab.
    The results showed that under the ring-pit method, an average of 474 qt/acre was achieved as against the 250 of the conventional method. One has to keep in mind that the data was only for a nine-month-old crop, which means there is scope for an even higher yield.
    The method is dependent on mother shoots, i.e., zero tillering, and the total number of millable canes per acre. Under the system, around 2700 pits per acre are made. Thirty mother shoots are allowed to develop into millable canes of 1.25-1.75 kg each. This can give a yield of 800-1100 qt/acre if the recommended package of practices is adopted.

The method
    Make round pits with a specially designed pit digger in a field with optimum moisture. The number of pits per acre must be around 2700. Apply 3.5-5 kg farmyard manure, 60 gm NPK (12:32:16), 40 gm urea and 5 gm Forate/Furadon per pit.Place 25 two-budded sets (40 or 50 buds) per pit, after soaking in Aglol or Areton. The arrangement of the buds is like the spokes of a wheel. Cover with 2-3 inches of soil taken from the middle of two pits in order to make a channel for irrigation. Up to 60 qt of seed would be required.After the shoots attain a height of 9 inches, 40 gm NPK and 20 gm urea should be applied in each pit and these should be half filled with soil. In the last week of June, apply 40 gm urea and 5 gm Furadon/Forate per pit and fill the remaining pit with soil, making the field plain.From July onwards, soil from all sides should be placed on the clumps making a channel all around the clumps, to be used for irrigation/drainage.De-trash the crop for the control of stalk borer and use the trash as props to avoid lodging. The remaining trash may be left in the field as mulch, which later becomes organic manure.For better ratoons, harvest from as low a level as possible, irrigate and apply 100 gm NPK and 50 gm urea.

Advantages
    —Lower layer of soil gets light and air.
    Organic manure improves soil structure.
    —Insects are exposed and eaten by birds.
    —All nutrients are placed in the root, thus better utilised.
    —Sufficient space between pits for light and air and operations like spraying, dusting and propping.
    —Root zone is lower, thus always moist.
    —Lodging is checked.
    —Higher number of ratoons as roots are deep.

Kirti

5. #5 how many buds per pit ? 

thanks for the reply but there is a confusion

you are mentioning that:
    Under the system, around 2700 pits per acre are made.

but i think this is not possible to make 2700 pits in one acre , if you are calculating the square area of the pit and of one acre there should be 700 pits in one acre. please re-calculate and let me know please.

also would u please let me know that how many buds per plant would be sufficient to have a good yield ?

i Have made 30 pits (just to see the initial growth) in my lands and planned to do that in about 10 acres at least, if i m not mistaking in one acre i will have near about 700 pits. m i rite ?

please do let me know the size of the pit too that is okay to grow the number of bud sin that .

please see the ring i get it made on my lands

pit

waiting for the reply
    nice day
    Nadeem Ahmed
    Last edited by nadeem5476; December 11th, 2007 at 09:12 PM.