Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Red Sandal plantation

Register

Click Here!

ssdora

Hello,
I am planing to cultivate red sandal.
Could you please provide the below details.

1) What kind of land is required for red sandal plantation.
2) one acre land total how many plants can be farming.
3) What is the distance required from plant to plant.
Please provide dimensions from plant to plant.
4) How frequent and what quantity of water is required for each plant.
5)What is the best process for providing water.
6) please provide this planting manual books

Thanks & Regards,
Ramana.P

kirti s

Hello Sir

SOILS:Suitable soil for Sandal cultivation is Red Sandy loam, Sandy, Lateritic and even in black soils with varying fertility condition, provided with good water holding capacity and drainage with a soil depth of 20 to 25 feet for better root growth and penetration. Sandal grows better in slight alkaline condition soil PH Range between 6.7. To 7.5

CLIMATE: Sandal required hot climate preferably semi arid climate.

PROPAGATION:The crop can be raised through seeds by raising nursery in sunken and raised beds are used to raise seedlings. Both of them perform equally well under different climatic conditions.
Seed beds are prepared with sand and red earth in the ratio 3:1.
Around 2.5 Kg. seed is spread uniformly over the bed, covered with straw, which should be removed when the leaves start appearing on the seedlings. Sandal suffers from a very virulent disease caused by combined fungal and nematode infection.

When seedling have reached 4 to 6 leaf stage they are transplanted to poly bags along with a seed of “Red gram” (Cajanus cajan), the primary host for better growth of sandal.

Digging pit size of 2’X2’X2’ filled with 1:2 ratio of red earth and farmyard manure watering for settling down the mixture. Placing the healthy seedling of sandal in the center by digging the small pit ensured that all the root systems are placed properly in the pit so that the tender roots will establish quickly. Planting the host plant in the pit 6” apart from the sandal plant.

Host plant is required for proper growth of sandal since the sandal plant is parasitic in initial stages of its growth. I
It procures nutrients from the host plant. Sandal roots spread out to a considerable distance even up to 300 feet and attack host’s roots. Normally any plant can be suitable as host plant but plants like Lagerstroemia species (Banaba leaves); Subabul, Casuarinas, red gram etc. can be the host plant for sandal tree.

SPACING & PLANT POPULATION:
Pits should be dugged with a spacing of 12’X12’ = 303 plants per one Acre. This is optimum for better plant population and yield. Plant population of at least 300 plants per Acre to be maintained.

MANURES & FERILIZERS: 8.0 tones of farmyard manure will be sufficient per one acre of sandal crop per year, chemical fertilizers required initially depending on soil fertility status.

WEEDING AND INTERCULTIVATION: Regular weeding and inter cultivation to be done to prevent soil moisture and nutrient loss. Inter crops are preferred for additional income and best land utilization and soil management.

INTER CROPS: It is also advisable to go for a inter crop which ensures inter cultivation and additional income to the farmer. Intercrops like Coleus forskolii, Banaba leaves and other short duration crops preferred. Short duration crops have shallow root system, that will not going to compete for water and nutrients with main crop.

IRRIGATION: Sandal is a rain fed crop. Young plants require watering in summer months at 15-20 days interval till they are fully established.

5.11 PLANT PROTECTION: Plants should be protected from physical damage, controlling white ants which is major problem in red soils, spray of 2% chloropyriphos on white ant attacked portion of shoot and near around the tree trunk will check the white ant effect.

5.12 SANDAL YIELD: Sandal tree yields two kinds of wood sapwood and heart wood and yield from inter crops

pvprasas

knowing about red sandle plantation

Hi my self prasad.i m intreated in red sandle plantation.cqn you tell me what is tha exact minimum tim to cut red sandle.and where i can sale it.

kottarambiju

Hi,
Please find a proper buyer and then start cultivation. My friend is having tonnes of red sandal ready to cut and we are in search of a buyer for the last one year. But not a single exporter is ready to buy bcoz they are having huge stocks.