Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

ginger farming

Register

Click Here!

yogeshpatel2101

i want to do ginger farming. Please inform me from procedure from bigining to end. how prepare farm etc.from were i buy seed etc.send me some litreture if possible

kirti s

hello sir
Ginger requires tropical,subtropical and humid climate for its commercial production.
It can be successfully grown to an altitude of 1500mt.
A well distributed rainfall during growing season and dry season during the land preparation as well as before harvesting is required for good growth and yield of the crop.
Ginger prefers good garden soil, rich in humus, light, loose, friable, well drained and of at least 30 cm depth.

Varieties of ginger are Himgiri,Varad,surbhi,suruchi,Ernas,Nadia,Maran,Rio de jenerio and China.

Ginger is universally propagated from cutting of Rhizome known as bits.

Bits should be 3-5cm in the length, 15- 20gm in weight and at least one sound bud .A seed rate of 15-20 Quintal per hectare is considered to be optimum for planting.

The spacing for planting of the ginger should be kept 25-45 cm between rows and 15-20 cm between plants.

Before planting bits should be treated with fungicide like carbendazim and mancozeb by dissolving the 30 gm of powder in 15 litres of water as a safeguard against soft rot and to induce early sprouting.

Well rotten FYM or compost at the rate of 25-30 ton/hectare should be applied at the time of planting.
and 100-120 kg nitrogen, 75-80 kg of phosphorus and 100 -120 kg of Murate of potash.

The crop raised in the month of April-May needs 2-4 initial watering at an interval of 7 days depending upon the soil types. After this the crop receives monsoon rain and comes up well till end of September .

Harvesting for the preserved ginger should be done after 5-7 months of planting while harvest for dried spices and oil is best at full maturity. i.e between 8-9 months after planting when leaves start yellowing.

After harvest, the fibrous roots attached to the rhizome should be trimmed off and soil is removed by washing.
Rhizomes should be soaked in water overnight and then cleaned.
The skin can be removed by scrapping with the correct instrument.
Peeling or scraping reduces, drying time, thus minimizes mold growth and fermentation.

regarding seeds u tell me ur location ill give u the nearest suppliers.