Notices

Thread: Gudmar-demanded medcinal crop

1. #1 Gudmar-demanded medcinal crop 

Blog Entries
    DEAR FRIENDS,

Here I m giving the cultivation aspact of gudmar which is one of the most demanded medcinal crop.

B.N-GYMNEMA SYLVESTRE R.BR.
    Family - Asclpiadaceae

It is a woody climber with small yellowish flowers and simple opposite, ovate - elliptic hairy leaves. It is found wild in various deciduous forests of India.

COMMON NAMES: Madhunasini, Merasingi

LOCATION: Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharastra, Punjab, Haryana., Tamil Nadu, Andhara Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka, Bihar & Bengal.

PART USED: Leaves and roots

SOIL AND CLIMATE
    THE PLANT GROWS IN A VARIETY OF SOIL AND AGRO-CLIMATIC CONDITIONS IN TROPICAL AND SUB-TROPICAL REGIONS UP TO 600 M.

NURSERY RAISING AND PLANTING
    Mature seeds are collected between October-December and sown in polyboxes/bags or small plots as nursery. The seedlings raised are transplanted in field during February-March. The plant grows well with the on-set of rainy season. The climber is given proper support for its better growth and development. It can also be planted in between trees as intercropping.

The plant can also be propagated through cuttings and planted during rainy season.

WEEDING AND HOEING
    Periodical weeding and hoeing is required, particularly during and after rainy season.

MANURES, FERTILISERS AND PESTICIDES
    The medicinal plants have to be grown without chemical fertilizers and use of pesticides. Organic manures like, Farm Yard Manure (FYM), Vermi-Compost, Green Manure etc. may be used as per requirement of the species. To prevent diseases, bio-pesticides could be prepared (either single or mixture) from Neem (kernel, seeds & leaves), Chitrakmool, Dhatura, Cow's urine etc.

IRRIGATION
    Periodic irrigation as and when required may be done (weekly/fortnightly).

HARVESTING/POST-HARVESTING
    After one-year leaves are ready for harvesting. The leaves are usually collected during October-February and are cleaned, dried in shade. The roots are collected during summer and are cleaned, washed and cut in to pieces and dried.

ECONOMICS
    The rate for a kg. of crude drug ranges from Rs. 12-15. (YEAR-2001)

INSTITUTE TO BE CONTACTED:
    CENTRE FOR ADVANCE STUDIES IN BOTANY,
    UNIVERSITY OF MADRAS,
    GUINDY CAMPUS,
    CHENNAI.

U can contact me for further information.

Regards
    Satya.

Dear friend

Can you give me the address of processors(Extraction of Gymnemic acid).

Apart from that it is widely export in the form of Gymnema Tea ( a blend of gymnema leaf powder and tea in certain ratio)

There are 12 types found in germplasm collection In TNAU, Coimbatore.

Regards
    Surya Narmada

Sir the different genotypes of TNAU, have they been screened from Gymnemic acid content and biomass production abilities across the country?

Dear Sir

They have taken from Tamilnaduonly .They have accessed the ecotypes with many physical characters.

If you are interested in full details I can sent it through your mail.

Moreover I did my studies on getting the crude form of Gymnemic acid from callus.

Regards
    Surya Narmada

5. #5 invitro secondary metabolite production 

Gymnemic acid production invitro from callus, is it cost effective and does it have the same chemical prifile in HPLC as the one extracted from leaves?

Dear Sir

My study is the initial one. I got only crude form. But physical characterstics are same. Out of my interest I did it apart from standardisation of micropropagation technique.But now I hope some studies will be going on in this aspect.

Regards
    Surya Narmada

In Malur, Jai Benzo Derivaties is doing contract Brahmi and Gymnema extraction for several Bangalore based companies.

Regards