Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. Shailesh Shivaji Gadekae - Attains affluence in life by creating green opulence in the farm

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Attains affluence in life by creating green opulence in the farm. Expands farming business consistently

“Most of my well wishers advised me to continue with the city job to have a comfortable but limited life instead of working in the ancestral farm in the village! Conversely I deeply thought that farming can be prospective than a job. Finally going with my inner call I left the job and started pomegranate farming in 2009,” says, Mr. Shailesh Shivaji Gadekae. Farm is located at Nandurkhandarmal village, Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra.
Mr.jpg
Mr. Shailesh Shivaji Gadekae

Pomegranate farming is rewarding crop. “It was the right decision to begin with pomegranate. I earned well and the profits gained were re-invested for expansion to other crops. Initially 700 saplings were planted. As it started fruiting revenue generated. Recently I have planted another 300 saplings of pomegranate,” shares Mr. Gadekae. Variety grown is Bhagwa. Each sapling cost Rs. 10. In one acre 340 saplings are grown. “I received subsidy of Rs. 10,000 for three consecutive years.”

The harvest is sold from farm gate to the bulk buyers. “He visits the farm during the flowering and fruiting stage and freeze the sale. Then after we pluck and keep it ready for him in our store room. His team comes, grades, packs and takes away the entire produce,” he informs. On an average one tree yield 20 kg fruit.
Pomegranates grown in the farm.jpg

Once the pomegranate orchard became stable and the routine activities were standardized Mr. Gadekae invested his resources once again in new farming activity. “This time I wanted to try something different and new so developed the polyhouse for growing exotic vegetables. I attended one week training on polyhouse farming in Pune. It gave good know-how on polyhouse operations and rest learnt while working,” he adds. Capital investment made was Rs. 11 lakh and subsidy received was Rs. 3.70 lakh. Coloured capsicum, European cucumber and marigold flowers are grown in the same sequence on rotation.

“We got red soil for cultivating crops in the polyhouse. Beds were created for growing plants. There are 36 beds in total. On each bed, crops are grown in two rows. Row-row distance maintained is 1 feet while plant-plant distance is 2 feet,” he states. Capsicum saplings were sourced from Pune. It is 60 days crop. European cucumber is grown with seeds. “It takes one week for germination and is harvested in 45 days. Then after marigold is planted in the polyhouse.” All three produce obtained was superior is quality and quantity. “We sell capsicum and cucumber to the big bazaar procurement center from where it gets transported through the cold chain to Pune and Mumbai. Flowers are sold in the local market. We get good price for capsicum, cucumber and marigold flowers,” asserts Mr. Gadekae.
Cucumber harvested in polyhouse.jpg

Speaking of challenges he says, “Biggest hurdle and problem in agriculture today is lack of water, instead I should say ‘no water’. In our region there is even no drinking water for human beings and animals. Irrigating the trees and farmland is almost impossible. Therefore, to deal with issue we made two ponds in the farm. These store rainwater and in case of no water at all we call for tankers and fill the ponds.” Total cost incurred was Rs. 4.5 lakh out of which Rs. 1.25 lakh was received as subsidy. Further to efficiently use the available water entire farm has drip irrigation system.

Farming methods followed is mix of chemical and natural practices. “We use chemical in bare minimum quantity in pomegranate orchard to enhance the growth and as preventive measure. Rest desi cow excreta is processed as slurry and fed in the polyhouse and orchard through drip irrigation,” he adds.

Stating future plans he concludes, “Pomegranate and polyhouse shall be operational as established. Now immediate plan is to diversify into dairy farming. I will supply the milk to the dairy co-operative because retail sale is not feasible as our village is 30 km from the city. Farming may not give very high earnings but it leads to healthy and happy life. Besides for me it gave immense satisfaction and better prospects too. Lastly it is continuous learning that keeps life spirits high!!”

Contact details:
Mr. Shailesh Shivaji Gadekae
At Post Nandurkhandarmal, Pune-Nashik Highway, Near Mirchomatic Hotel, Mahuli, Khandarmalwadi, Sangamnear Taluk, District Ahmednagar, Maharashtra - 422620
Phone: 09423009630

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)