Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Turmeric Farming

Register

Click Here!

manohar

Friends,

We want to cultivate Turmeric on 10 acres in Haryana.

Experienced farmers Please inform if it can withstand hot and cold weather conditions of the regionand what care to be taken?

Which is the right time to sow ?

Where can we get seeds and which is the best & fast moving variety.

What other guidelines to follow.

How Many months crop is this and how is the market for selling?

Please inform.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ajay_opal

Turmric Cultivation

This information was posted by Mr Kirti Naik earlier >The credit is his. I am reproducing the same

CROP HUSBANDRY-TURMERIC CULTIVATION PRACTICES IN KERALA
TURMERIC (Curcuma longa)

Turmeric is a tropical herb and can be grown on different types of soil under irrigated and rainfed conditions. Rich loamy soils having good drainage are ideal for the crop. It is a shade tolerant crop with shallow roots suitable for intercropping and also as a component crop in the homesteads where low to medium shade is available.

Preparation of land
Prepare the land to a fine tilth during February-March. On receipt of pre-monsoon showers in April, prepare beds of size 3 x 1.2 m with a spacing of 40 cm between beds.

Seed material
Whole or split mother rhizomes are used for planting. Select well developed, healthy and disease free rhizomes. Treat the rhizomes in any of the copper oxychloride fungicides and store in cool, dry place or in earthen pits plastered with mud and cowdung.

Varieties
The important varieties are Duggirala, Tekurpetta, Sugantham, Kodur, Armoor, Alleppey, Suvarna, Suguna, Sudarshana, Prabha, Prathibha, Kanthi, Sobha, Sona and Varna.

Season and method of planting
Plant during April with the receipt of pre-monsoon showers. Take small pits in the beds in rows with a spacing of 25 x 25 cm. Plant finger rhizomes flat with buds facing upwards and cover with soil or dry powdered cattle manure. The seed rate is about 2000-2500 kg per ha.

Manuring
Apply cattle manure or compost as basal dose at 40 t/ha at the time of land preparation or by spreading over the beds after planting. Apply N:p2O5:K2O @ 30:30:60 kg/ha. Full dose of P2O5 and half dose of K2O may be applied as basal; 2/3 dose of N may be applied at 30 days after planting; and 1/3 N and remaining K2O may be applied 60 days after planting.

Mulching
Mulch the crop immediately after planting with green leaves @ 15 t/ha. Repeat mulching after 50 days with the same quantity of green leaves.

Aftercultivation
Weed the crop thrice at 60, 120 and 150 days after planting, depending upon weed intensity. Earth up the crop after 60 days.

Intercropping
Chilly, maize and colocasia can be grown as intercrops.

Harvesting and curing
Time of harvest depends upon variety and usually extends from January to March. Harvest early varieties at 7-8 months, medium varieties at 8-9 months and long duration varieties at 9-10 months after planting.

Improved method of processing

Cleaning: Harvested turmeric rhizomes are cleaned off mud and other extraneous materials adhering to them and subjected to curing within 2-3 days after harvest so as to ensure the quality of the end product.

Boiling: Fingers and mother rhizomes will have to be boiled separately. Boiling is usually done in MS pans of suitable size. Cleaned rhizomes (approximately 50 kg) are taken in a perforated trough of size 0.9 m x 0.55 m x 0.4 m made of GI or MS sheet with extended handle. The trough containing the rhizomes is then immersed in MS pan (1 m x 0.62 m x 0.48 m) containing clean water sufficient to immerse the rhizomes. The whole mass is boiled till the rhizomes become soft. The correct stage of cooking can be judged by piercing a wooden needle through the rhizome. If the rhizomes are properly cooked, the needle will pass through the rhizome without resistance. The cooked rhizomes are taken out of the pan by lifting the trough and draining the solution into the pan.

Drying: The fingers are then dried in the sun by spreading them as a thin layer on bamboo mats or drying floor. Artificial drying at a maximum temperature of 65ºC gives a bright coloured product than that of sun drying especially for sliced turmeric.

Polishing

In order to smoothen the rough and hard outer surface of the boiled dried turmeric and also to improve its colour, it is subjected to polishing. There are two types of polishing, hand polishing and machine polishing.

Hand polishing: The method of hand polishing is simple, which consists of rubbing turmeric fingers on hard surface or trampling them under feet wrapped in gunny bags. The improved method is by using hand-operated barrel or drum mounted on a central axis, the sides of which are made of expanded metal mesh. When the drum filled with turmeric is rotated, polishing is effected by abrasion of the surface against the mesh as well as by mutual rubbing against each other as they roll inside the drum.

Machine polishing: This method consists of an octagonal or hexagonal wooden drum mounted on a central axis and rotated by power.

Colouring
Boiled, dried and half polished turmeric fingers (half polished turmeric is more suitable since colour does not stick to the rhizomes that have been polished fully to smooth finish) are taken in bamboo basket and shaken with turmeric powder. For coating 100 kg of half polished turmeric 200 g of turmeric powder is required. When fingers are uniformly coated with turmeric powder, they are dried in the sun.

Turmeric oleoresin
This is obtained by the solvent extraction of the ground spice with organic solvents like acetone, ethylene dichloride and ethanol for 4-5 hours. It is orange red in colour. Oleoresin yield ranges from 7.9 to 10.4 per cent. One kg of oleoresin replaces 8 kg of ground spice.

Plant protection
No major incidence of pest or disease is noticed in the crop. Shoot borers can be controlled by spraying 0.05% dimethoate or 0.025% quinalphos.

Leaf spot and leaf blotch can be controlled by spraying 1% Bordeaux mixture or 0.2% mancozeb. If symptoms of early wilt or rhizome rot appear, drench the soil with cheshunt compound or 1% Bordeaux

Regards

Kirti naik

manojsinghchandel

Turmeric processing

Hafed has set up a turmeric processing plant with a capacity of 14 metric tonnes per day at Radaur in Yamunanagar district of Haryana, just a information to share.

Regds

ananth1946

As a recent entrant to farming who has been searching the internet for info on turmeric, the post of Sri Kirti Naik is most comprehensive. Thanks on behalf of all beginners!

Just some more queries:

1. Are there processing centres near Hyderabad who would do small lots for a price?
2. What are the problems in storing the cured turmeric? This has relevance if I do not want to sell the product immediately after harvesting & curing to wait out for a better price.
3. How is turmeric inter cropped with chillies? When beds are 1.2M wide and spacing between beds is 40 cm and on the beds the seed spacing is 25cm X 25cm? Where is thespace for the chilly plants?
4. Mulching twice @ 12Mt/Ha is suggested - where does one get so much mulching material? What is the normal source for small farmers with land holdings of about 3 acres?

Ananth

sarjeet46

Turmeric cultivation in Haryana

Dear Manhor Ji namaskar

I am a turmeric farmer and Agriculture researcher district Saharanpur UP. I can guide you from time to time about turmeric cultivation.If required even I can give a curticy visit to to your farm for evaluating its suitability.
About your queries for bearing hot and cold climate by the turmeric crop in Haryana I would say yes it can bear both climtes sucssusfully. However, there are few varieties which can stand to these conditions.

Turmeric grows well in light soils and it require frequent irrigation at an interval of 8-10 days summer and 15 days interval in winter. The crop is planted in May- June and harvested in Jan- Feb. It is a 7-9 months crop depending upon the variety. The 7 months crop is raised with early maturing var and 9 months crop with late maturing variety.

I have a variety which matures in 180-210 days and grows well in western UP. Haryana and Uttra Khand and even under shady condtions. I can supply you seed by cutting short the supply to others. Pl contact me on my mail

Regards

Dr Sarjeet Singh

rajan03

turmeric seeds

if u want high yield turmeric seeds you can contact me
rajan chopra

agronomy

Dear Sir,
Turmeric planting time in Hariyana pre monsoon.Hot and cool area product quilety very good.I have 15th high yield Vrty.Please call me. thank,s

sarjeet46

Dear Chopra Hi

Pl Let me know your location and forward me the list of 15 varieties along with percentage of dry recovery, crucumin, oleoricine and essential oil contents so that I can choose a few for this season.

Regards

Dr Sarjeet Singh

rajesh07

turmeric cultivation & where u take it

hello dear,
my neme is raj from patran dist patiala . you want to know how is cultivated turmeric and where r u selling the crop. turmeric is sowing in may and harvesting in faburary to april . this is a good crop and take good earning . you can take seeds from me , i have to 10 acre tumeric .
regards
name raj
city patran
distric patiala
state punjab

krishnafarm

Contact for cultivating turmeric

Dear Sir,
I want to contact you to know about the cultivation of turmeric. I am living Ambala so it will be easy for me to visit your farms and to learn about the cultivation of turmeric.
Dear Manhor Ji namaskar

I am a turmeric farmer and Agriculture researcher district Saharanpur UP. I can guide you from time to time about turmeric cultivation.If required even I can give a curticy visit to to your farm for evaluating its suitability.
About your queries for bearing hot and cold climate by the turmeric crop in Haryana I would say yes it can bear both climtes sucssusfully. However, there are few varieties which can stand to these conditions.

Turmeric grows well in light soils and it require frequent irrigation at an interval of 8-10 days summer and 15 days interval in winter. The crop is planted in May- June and harvested in Jan- Feb. It is a 7-9 months crop depending upon the variety. The 7 months crop is raised with early maturing var and 9 months crop with late maturing variety.

I have a variety which matures in 180-210 days and grows well in western UP. Haryana and Uttra Khand and even under shady condtions. I can supply you seed by cutting short the supply to others. Pl contact me on my mail

Regards

Dr Sarjeet Singh