Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Advertising Grow Agar Tree for 10 years & you can get Rs30000 per tree

Register

Click Here!

pharmadig

Growing Agar tree and extracting oil from fungus infected Agar tree is secret of a few families of Hojai,a small place in Nagaon dist of Assam.If an agar tree turns black it may fetch you upto 1 lakh .1 kg resinous wood sells at Rs 30000 or more.10 gm oil sells at Rs 3500 or more.1 kg non infected wood sells at Rs150 or so.These rates are not divulged to anyone.I have collected these informations with much difficulty.
Artificial infection with the mold is now possible and the technology is available.
AGAR TREE SEEDLINGS ARE SUPPLIED BY SOME ASSAM BASED NURSERIES.
I will appreciate if any tissue culture laboratory can make Agar tree tissue cultured plants.
Pharmadig

Last edited:

Agar Tree

Dear Friend,

Thanks for this interesting information. Can you please give us details about this species like scientic name, growing requirements etc.

Krishnamurthy
Bangalore

pharmadig

Agar/Agarwood comes from Aquilaria malaccensis

When Aquilaria malaccensis(Synonam Aquilaria agallocha Family Thymelaeaceae) gets infected with the mold Phaeoacremonium parasitica, it's immune system reacts in a way that in the heartwood it produces a precious, dark and aromatic resin i.e. an oleoresin known as agarwood or agar(In assamese it is called as "ogoru" and both agarwood and its resin distillate/extracts are known as oud in arabic).These tropical trees actually grow very quickly in poor soil, so long as they have enough water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agarwood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquilaria
http://www.agricultureinformation.com/mag/?p=2956
http://www.ayushveda.com/herbs/aquilaria-agallocha.htm
Pharmadig
The above websites are used as references,not as a contact information.

dmathi_cbe

Can anyone tell me the climatic conditions, soil and water resouces required for growing agar tree. Is it suitable for TMILNADU

biomax

Agar Tree

Sounds an interesting proposal. Just a few questions further to already discussed issues. Please advise on whichever ones possible.

What is the normal lead time before the harvesting (or First Harvesting)?
What are approximate expenses involved?
Any typical requirement of nutrients and fertilizers?
Does it require plantation on slopes?
Any requirement on the type of soil and the depth.

cvk

Vijayakumar K. Managing Director, Vigirom Flavours and Fragrances

Agar Wood is not something new and has been in use since ancient times. This tree grows in regions in Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia, apart from the Assam Region. The Ajmal Group, which manufactures Fragrances and has markets all over the Gulf, is well established in the Assam region and have a near monopoly over this product.

Fungus infected wood, when distilled, produces Oodh, a powerful, rich, almost faecal smelling oil that very long lasting and has diffusive qualities that are valued next only to Gold in the Gulf, and among the Arabs. Pure qualities are rare and most qualities are adulterated. A pure, unadulterated, and well produced oil can cost around 15,000 USD per kilo in the open market.

Supply sources are scare and demand outstrips production, and therefore the costs keep going up every year. Normal Agar Wood that is not infected by this Fungus is not as much in demand and use and applications are limited.

Like Sandalwood, given the cost and the demand it is impossible to protect these trees, and most of them are likely to be stolen unless you have armed guards to protect them when they ready to be harvested. Protecting them for 20 odd years before you can realise its commercial potential is a herculean task.

Though people have started growing Agar in the North Western regions of Karnataka that have weather patterns somewhat similar to Assam, it remains to be seen when artificially induced fungus can produced this transformation and give the same result as the naturally growing trees in the other regions indicated in this note.

Am willing to share any additional information that you may need on this subject.

Vijay
Managing Director,
Vigirom Flavours and Fragrances
Vigirom - Scents that make sense

Last edited by a moderator:

phytica

Development of Agarwood tree through tissue culture

Growing Agar tree and extracting oil from fungus infected Agar tree is secret of a few families of Hojai,a small place in Nagaon dist of Assam.If an agar tree turns black it may fetch you upto 1 lakh .1 kg resinous wood sells at Rs 30000 or more.10 gm oil sells at Rs 3500 or more.1 kg non infected wood sells at Rs150 or so.These rates are not divulged to anyone.I have collected these informations with much difficulty.
Artificial infection with the mold is now possible and the technology is available.
I will appreciate if any tissue culture laboratory can make Agar tree tissue cultured plants.
Pharmadig
Please see our posting under Consultancy forum offering services for technology development. If you and/or others interested support it, we can attempt developing the production system.

- Phytica

kjani

send details

Pharmadig
pl send some details to me.you can find us on rajkamal herbs & aromatics pvt.ltd
kalpesh jani

kjani

send some more details.

Agar Wood is not something new and has been in use since ancient times. This tree grows in regions in Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia, apart from the Assam Region. The Ajmal Group, which manufactures Fragrances and has markets all over the Gulf, is well established in the Assam region and have a near monopoly over this product.

Fungus infected wood, when distilled, produces Oodh, a powerful, rich, almost faecal smelling oil that very long lasting and has diffusive qualities that are valued next only to Gold in the Gulf, and among the Arabs. Pure qualities are rare and most qualities are adulterated. A pure, unadulterated, and well produced oil can cost around 15,000 USD per kilo in the open market.

Supply sources are scare and demand outstrips production, and therefore the costs keep going up every year. Normal Agar Wood that is not infected by this Fungus is not as much in demand and use and applications are limited.

Like Sandalwood, given the cost and the demand it is impossible to protect these trees, and most of them are likely to be stolen unless you have armed guards to protect them when they ready to be harvested. Protecting them for 20 odd years before you can realise its commercial potential is a herculean task.

Though people have started growing Agar in the North Western regions of Karnataka that have weather patterns somewhat similar to Assam, it remains to be seen when artificially induced fungus can produced this transformation and give the same result as the naturally growing trees in the other regions indicated in this note.

Am willing to share any additional information that you may need on this subject.

Vijay
Managing Director,
Vigirom Flavours and Fragrances
Dear Mr vijay.
can you pl provide some more details about plants and about your business contact.
kalpesh jani
rajkamal herbs & aromatics pvt.ltd
Please contact.....

hima79

which type of soil required.

thank you for giving the information about the agar tree. but my question is which type of soil is suitable for this tree. pls give me the details of soil and water source how much required. in karnataka where is the plantation pls give m the address of the plantation i want to visit that planation.

rockey

trees

what climate requried for these trees, and where i can get these plants,i am frm manglore (karnataka).
Please contact....

pranavkarthik

Dear sir,

Nice to note the details of Agar tree, a residing at Coimbatore, whether possible to cultivate this trees in Residece at Coimbatore. What are the special care to be taken?

kindly inform us.

thanks & regards

Pranav karthik
Please contact.....

cvk

Pharmadig
Can I have your address and contact numbers. I would like to know where I can get about 500 seedlings of Agar Wood? Thanks and regards.

Vijay / Vigirom / Bangalore

cvk

Dear Mr vijay.
can you pl provide some more details about plants and about your business contact.
kalpesh jani
rajkamal herbs & aromatics pvt.ltd
Please contact.....
Thanks

nitin99099

Thanks for information ,
can u tell me from where i can get baby plants of agar tree easily,what is the source to get it

nitin99099

hi,
i have farm in jaipur, i want to plant agar tree on its border,
I want to confirm that climate of jaipur is suitable or not for agar tree

sb2595

Agarwood Plantation

We should encourage this type of ideas . MDs ,VP,s of companies can never promote anything which will harm their interests. So i would like to take this idea and see the results. Some one has to start from seomwhere to get to its destination. All high profile persons and agents of MNCs ( whoes interests will be effected by this ) will never promote anything which is against there pockets. They will only see towards their pockets and not towards the fields of farmers and can never tolrate it that farmers become their competitors.
Please contact...