Article How farmers are coping with water scarcity ? Part 2

Discussion in 'Discussion Topics' started by editorialteam, Apr 21, 2017.

1. editorialteam

editorialteam Active Member Staff Member

THIS IS A THREE PART ARTICLE. PART I & III AVAILABLE AT
    http://www.agricultureinformation.c...s-are-coping-with-water-scarcity-part-1.6071/
    http://www.agricultureinformation.c...s-are-coping-with-water-scarcity-part-3.6073/

Sankalpa Rural Development Society

Brings water to the parched lands and dried up bore wells with low-cost recharge technology. Working successfully in seven Indian states. Located at Hubli, Karnataka

"Bore well recharge used to cost Rs. 1 lakh few years before but with improved technology the cost was brought down to Rs. 40 thousand. I could further understand the farmers' difficulty to arrange Rs. 40 thousand and decided to develop some further low-cost bore well recharge solutions. Under the guidance and support of my mentor Mr. Naveen Jha, CEO, Deshpande Foundation, I could innovate ‘Twin Ring Method for Bore Well Recharge’. The total cost to be paid by farmers for this recharge solution is Rs. 15-18 thousand,” shares Mr. Sikandar Meeranaik, founder, Sankalpa Rural Development Society.
    Mr. Sikandar Meeranaik, founder, Sankalpa Rural Development Society.jpg
    Mr. Sikandar Meeranaik

Based at Hubli, Karnataka Sankalpa Rural Development Society (SRDS) specializes in modern-day rainwater harvesting. Organization was established in 2009. “We take up many projects related to water but as of now looking at the water adversity in Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Southern Indian states we are 100% committed to bore well recharge to give some relief to the farmers engaged in rain-fed farming,” he adds.

Being born and brought up in drought-prone Kotumchagi village in Gadag district, "I am very well aware about the problems faced by the farmers due to water shortage. As I grew up I just had a deep aspiration to solve these water issues. The low-cost technology for bore well recharge is outcome of the same. This technology helps the farmers without hurting their pockets,” he describes the drive behind his developing Twin Ring Method for Bore Well Recharge.
    Pond for recharging the borewell.jpg
    Twin Ring Method recharges the bore well by constructing the pond and it is connected to the bore well so that the water percolates through the stone wall and water lever rises. “We dig 8*8 / 10*10 feet percolation pit around the bore well, it is covered with a dry stone wall and a 3 inch layer of sand is filled at the bottom of the pit,” he explains. Then after holes are made in the casing pipe and it is covered with the mesh in order to ensure only water passes through the pipe and nothing else. Later the cement rings are placed one over the other and plastered to keep it all together. The remaining area of the pit outside the cement rings is filled with sand, stone and gravel. It is connected to the adjoining pond. “The size of the pond depends on the farmer’s but usually we recommend the pond size as 15 (l)* 20 (b)* 8 (d) feet,” he adds.

Further talking about the process Mr. Sikander says, “Rain water collected in the pond (catchment area) slowly seeps into the percolation pit through the sand and gravel outside the cement rings. This water filters up through the sand in the base of the cement rings and fills the area around the pipe casing.
    Borewell Recharge.jpg
    And then enters into the bore well through the protective mesh and the holes thereby recharging the underlying aquifer with clean filtered rainwater.” During rainy season the ponds gets filled with rain water that percolates in the bore well. In this way it is a continuous process and bore well gets recharged.

Speaking about the benefits of bore well water recharge Mr. Sikander highlights, “Borewell recharge is a permanent solution for the farmers to have the water security. Once recharged a bore-well never goes dry. Year after year, underground water-tables and aquifers are replenished thus keeping the bore-well up and running. Moisture content in the surrounding area of bore well is high thereby it is apt for growing vegetables and fodder.” Twin Ring Method can be customized to suit any farmland. By reserving of naturally filtered rainwater into the groundwater tables results in a decrease in the proportion of impurities in the water. The bore-well’s water thus loses its hardness with time and toxic minerals such as fluoride are diminished.

Farmers must not wait for getting the bore well recharge only after it gets dry! It must be done at the same time of construction of bore well then farmers shall be able to cope up with the low water or drought. Besides, once the bore well gets dry the recharge technology shall showcase the results only after the rains. “Fluctuating weather and erratic rains is the hard core reality now. It is wise for the farmers to accept it and adopt the best solutions to cope up with this change. On the same note it is ideal for the farmers to get the water recharge system at the same time when the bore well is being dug in the farm. The additional Rs. 15-18 thousand for bore well recharge can be accommodated in the bank loan for the bore well construction. It shall ensure some water security to the farmers all the year round!! Farmers worry about water scarcity only during summers so the problem escalates. Instead they must prepare themselves for the odds much beforehand to survive droughts/dry spell,” he elaborates. For the existing bore well the recharge must be done during summers so that following the monsoon the farmers get the continuous supply of water.

SRDS is doing bore well recharge consistently across seven Indian states namely Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tami Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, Maharasthra and Jharkhand. “Bore well recharge is our core activity and we are ready to travel anywhere in the country to help farmers have water security. However travelling to remote locations just for one bore well recharge is not cost effective. Thereby we ask for 10 farmers of the same region/village to get their respective bore-well recharged at the same time,” states Mr. Sikandar.

He concludes, “Every year I want to recharge atleast 1000 bore well. Any water related project for agriculture I am ready to work on it as my long term goal is to see India free of water scarcity by the year 2030!”

Contact details:
    Sankalpa Rural Development Society
    Deshpande Center for Social Entrepreneurship building, BVB College of Engineering, Vidyanagar, Hubli 580031, Karnataka
    Phone: +91 99868 40730
    Email: info@srdsindia.org
    Web: http://srdsindia.org/